Tuesday, November 8, 2011

9/05/11 A Festival for Every Occasion and Affliction

We left zia Maria’s house early in the morning after the daily coffee and marmalade ritual.  I wandered outside to have a few figs; who knows how many I’ve eaten in the last few days.  But I’ll tell you this: each and every one of them was spectacular.
Our drive to the autostrada took us through a number of small towns.  From the back seat my mother read out the names of the upcoming small town festivals: apple festival, grape festival, egg festival, festivals in honour of all kinds of patron saints.  The list went on and on; each town trying to come up with its own unique reason to gather, celebrate and draw attention to itself.  And then on the side of the road, I spotted it; the sign for the festival to end all festivals.  Festa delle Perdono.  Loosely translated: Festival of the Forgiven.  Here, I reasoned, was the perfect gathering place for every kind of sinner, criminal, murderer and shifty-eyed son of a bitch.  Even those feeling a general sense of non-specific guilt had somewhere to celebrate their degenerate lives.
I imagine a festival with a strong police presence and instead of port-a-pottys, rows upon rows of portable confessional booths.  What a sight to behold!  Too bad we were just passing through.

No comments:

Post a Comment