Friday, December 9, 2011

9/12/11 Mountain Blast: No Seniors Allowed

I told my parents I was going for a “drive”.  They knew exactly what I was up to.  Once again the Ford’s small motor was called to action.  It was a quick drive up into the hills, but I quickly caught up with some traffic.  Better to pull over for a while and create some space.  Five minutes later, just as I was about to pull out, a cop car passed by.  Mission aborted.  My blast along these twisty roads had lasted less than five minutes.
Rather than get busted by the Polizia Stradale, I took advantage of the light at dusk and returned to Gerace to take some photos.  While snapping shots of an abandoned church an old woman peeked out of her second floor window and gave me a brief history.  Chiesa di San Nicola (the church of St. Nicholas) had been abandoned for a long time because there is no money to fix the crumbling interior; a familiar story.  The woman offering the story was a mystery.  While she was eager to talk, she remained hidden and never revealed her whole face.  The window sill blocked out anything below the bridge of her nose.







No comments:

Post a Comment